Kaduna Airstrike: ‘We’re not part of it’ — Kaduna community denies suing FG over bombing

Residents of Tudun Biri community in Igabi LGA of Kaduna state, have denied filing a fundamental rights suit against the federal government over the military air strike that killed civilians in the village.

One Dalhatu Salihu had instituted a suit before a federal high court in Kaduna, seeking compensation on behalf of some deceased victims of the air strike, which occurred on December 3.

Salihu is praying the court to order the federal government to pay N33 billion as compensation to the victims.

However, speaking during a “thank you visit” to Uba Sani, governor of Kaduna, on Wednesday, leaders of Tudun Biri people and families of those directly affected by the incident, said the community was not aware of the suit and had not mandated anyone to go to court on its behalf.

Balarabe Garba, the village head, said no one in the community bears the name “Dalhatu Salihu”.

Garba said the community was satisfied with the action of the federal government and the support rendered so far by the Kaduna state government after the incident.

While thanking the government for the various promises made, the village head appealed to the government to consider providing jobs for graduates who are from the village.

“We learnt that some people went to court on our behalf, we are not part of this, we didn’t support this and we didn’t send anyone to go to court,” he said.

“We are peaceful people and we don’t support taking government to court. We are happy with the reaction of the Kaduna state and federal government following the bomb incident.

“The federal government and Kaduna state government took several measures and made promises, which we can only appreciate them for the support.”

Also speaking, Musa Saidu, leader of the Christians in the community, expressed appreciation to Kaduna state and the federal government for the steps taken so far after the accident.

“We are united and we do things together. There is no way we are going to support anyone to take measures against the government who came to our assistance and is doing everything possible to ensure the welfare of the people of the community,” he said.

“On behalf of Christians in Tudun Biri, we have not mandated anyone to take government to court.”

Responding, the governor commended members of the community for their unity, adding that some people have made attempts to give the bomb incident a religious colouration.

“The gap between church and mosque in the community is less than 100 meters. The idea of anyone going to court on behalf of the family of the victims is not true,” he said.

“The community asked us to investigate the issue and anyone found wanting would face the law.

“We assured them that Kaduna state government will continue to support them.

“We want to form a committee to decide how to share the money that have been donated to them by well meaning Nigerians.

“We want them to bring five people from their community as members of this committee. The donations would go directly to the families of those that lost their lives and those in the hospital.”